We were up in Maine for the end of August through the first week of September. Wells Beach, up to Bar Harbor and then to Limerick.
While we were away a friend took care of my hummer feeders. It was too early to take them in. Travelers were beginning to come through.
One hummer came for breakfast this morning. (I leave them out for two weeks after the last viewed hummer.) During the summer I have three feeders and some days can go through six cups of hummer water. Now there is just one feeder out and over two days not quite one cup is eaten. The males have headed south, and the females and juveniles are the ones coming through.
As a thank you to my friend, the hummers asked me to make her something. I found a FPP pattern from Lillyella Stitchery called Sugar Baby. The hummers were pleased and so was my friend.
I am always trying to improve what I have done. So, this time I used cotton batting sandwiching Insul-bright. It was good but too thick in my preference. Won't make it that way again. Prefer two layers; one cotton, one Insul-bright.
When we are traveling, I like to have something to do with my hands. (So does my husband. It keeps my eyes off the road. He doesn't need my help driving.) The drive to Maine is a four-hour trip and I worked on the binding of my eagle table runner. The binding was finished while we were in Maine.
Here is the hand quilting seen from the back side. I am very pleased how this finished up.
Enjoy your threads today. Football season has started and I have hand work lined up. Shall show you next week. It is at the not exciting part right now.
Linking to Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts.



You made me smile, because I too need to be occupied while hubby is driving. I bring a craft and a book/magazine to keep my eyes off the road. Sometimes I feel like I miss the scenery, but usually it is a drive that we have made many, many times. I adore that little humming bird you made. So pretty.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much. I enjoyed making the hummer. I cannot read while in the car but knitting or binding work just fine, unless I drop something.
ReplyDeleteI usually stitch in the car for the same reason! We get lots of hummingbirds in our yard over the summer. I have not seen any lately. They have likely gone on to warmer climes.
ReplyDeleteYour comment made me smile. I used to do knitting in the tow car when we went away on caravan trips. That kept me occupied and not looking out the windows for danger while he was driving. I have never seen a hummingbird, we don't have them down here in New Zealand.
ReplyDelete