Pages

Tuesday, July 28, 2020

A Quick Finish


My husband is beginning to take down the deck to have it ready to be replaced this fall.  He was trying out a new tool and took off two boards toward the back.  He had noticed wasps flying around the desk corner when he was grilling but figured ti was due to the plants near by.  Nope.  They had decided to set up housekeeping.  They have been evicted.   They were better off in the tree last year.   


Do you ever buy something and then wonder why you did, or is it just me.  I saw a kit for these mug mats long ago and bought two of them.  They are Quilt-as-you-go.  The pattern for the block was printed on the batting,  It has a panel of the sayings included.  You just sew the material in the proper place and then they are done.


One day during this shut down, I was looking for something quick to make and came across the kits.

So, I went to my box of leftover scraps, went to town sorting through the material and made them up.  I don't like the quilt-as-you-go method with having the backing as part of the process.  I just sewed the material onto the batting.  Then I used left over bigger pieces for the backing.  I brought it around to the front, turned it under neatly so I could use it for the binding.  Then I sewed down the binding with a blanket stitch using the sewing machine.  


The hearts were then machine quilted into the center of the blocks.

The mug mats are now done with the only hand stitching being burying the threads from the machine quilted hearts.  Nice easy project that was done rather quickly.

May you all be able to stay cool in this warm (HOT) weather.


2 comments: