Pages

Saturday, April 30, 2022

Squirrel

Three of them.  

First Squirrel:  I was going to show you this last week but, I didn't.  A friend of mine was given count work patterns that someone else was not using anymore.  I saw this and couldn't resist, a pin cushion.  You are seeing the front and the back.  The red square on point is the front.   This will be lined.  Then I will take the corners and sew the corners together in the back.  Then, before the final closing, I will fill it with lizard litter (otherwise known as ground walnut shells).  This will be my work for Sunday.


Second Squirrel:  The same friend as above found the Wooly Window Mystery Stitch-A-Long.  This is a wool applique series of 12 patterns, which come out weekly.  You can also send for a kit of each window.  She decided that we needed to do the month of April.  Neither of us have done wool applique.  Here is the beginning of our April window.  We had an applique gathering for a few hours on Friday.  We are both finding this enjoyable.


I have wanted to have a hand quilting frame for a long time.  I was looking at American made frames (Grace, Hinterberg) but by the time I decided to buy, they weren't being made anymore.  Procrastination, not good.  

I came across you tube videos of Esther Miller, her quilting and her frames.  She is Amish, raised in America, living in Germany.  (I am sad to say that she passed late 2021.  I would have liked to take a hand quilting class from her.)  I watched, I hemmed and hawed.  I finally placed my order, and the three boxes arrived this week.  Celebration!!  

Third Squirrel:  I now have a "Love" hand quilting frame from Miller's Quilting in Germany.  What you see is it at 40 inches and it can be lengthen to 120 inches.  
                                                                              

The first thing that I am stitching on is a table runner.  I have two of these as flimsies.  I will only hand stitch one.  I figure that a runner will be a good set of practice hours.  I have two quilts waiting that I want to hand quilt.


I am so excited.  Another way to meditate with the use of thread, slow stitching.  My favorite activity.  Here are my first stitches. 

I will be linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts.  Enjoy your day.







 

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow, you’ve been busy. I hope the frame allows you many hours of enjoyable slow stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new quilting frame is a beauty! Your two "squirrels" are fabulous. The cross stitch is pretty and the felt window applique is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new frame is wonderful. I really get your excitement at using it! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pin cushion. Your new quilting frame is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck with your new quilting frame, is it easy and comfortable to use? I've only used a hoop for hand quilting, and these days I only hand quilt small projects.

    ReplyDelete