Pages

Saturday, May 7, 2022

Squirrel Update

The strawberry pincushion is done.  It is about 3.5 inches across.  It was first lined with a Pellon Fusible Interfacing. 


Then a long-legged cross stitch was used to join the sides.  It was a bit fiddly and a times I lost where I was.  But I am glad that I did it. When a 1/2-inch opening was left, the lizard litter (crushed almond shells, oops, it is crushed walnut shells) was poured in via a funnel.  It was then closed up and I am pleased.


The window was made and now the boots and leaves need to be attached.  There are also parts to make forsythia that will need to be put on.  But, part by part I will work.  Can't get too much in front of my eyes.


After about ten hours of stitching, I am at the end of the runner.  I am actually a bit faster than when I began, at least in two directions.  This has been an enjoyable learning experience.  When this comes off, which may be tomorrow, I will be putting on my first quilt.  


On the runner are three of the tools I use.  From left to right: a ceramic needleslide that is used under the quilt, my thimble when stitching toward me and a thumbthimble when I stitch away from me.  That is a great invention.

I will be linking to Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts.  May you all have a wonderful week.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. I love pincushions. Really don't need more, but they will wander my way.

      Delete
  2. I like that pretty pincushion. Your window is looking great. I have never heard of a ceramic needle slide. What is it used for? I can't find a thimble/thumble big enough to use on my thumb. Enjoy your stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The slide is used under the quilt. It is what the needle will poke as it goes through the quilt sandwich and it helps direct the needle back to the surface. Great finger protector and direction guide. The Teds Thumb Thimble helps me to push the needle away from myself so I can quilt going away from me. Great videos on how both work are found by looking up Esther Miller quilting videos. She also shows how she hand quilts, very nice instructions.

      Delete
  3. That pincushion is great. I want to try the lizard litter stuffing some time. You'll have to let us know how you like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the lizard litter as pincushion stuffing. It is crushed almond shells and the perfect weight to keep the pincushion in one spot. Also, my needles seem to like it. You can buy it at quilt shops, but I go to the pet store.

      Delete
  4. Lovely stitching! I have never used a thumb thimble!

    ReplyDelete