Pages

Monday, July 13, 2020

Small Pieces

I am beginning my first ever Block of the Week Quilt.  The is the 3030 Quilt by Sentimental Stitches.  These are small blocks, 6 inches.  I haven't worked with many blocks this size and it is making my piecing improve.  

Block #1.  I made two as I was not pleased with the first.  The second one is better but I will still have to replace the left lower corner block.  I did not properly place the material so it is missing a bit of  the 1/4 inch seam.  I need all the material I can get.  The background is named Silver, a very light grey.


Linda Franz, a Canadian Quilter, has written two books on her Quilted Diamonds Quilts.  Using the CDs from her books, I am able to print the diamond pattern on freezer paper, cut it out, iron the pieces to the back side of the material, where it sticks very well.  Then I trace around the freezer paper on to the material with a pencil.  This marks my stitching line.  I then  use an Add-a-Quarter ruler and cut our my pieces.  Here they are in proper placement waiting for me to begin stitching.



I stitch them together by hand, a little puzzle to do while sitting in the evening.  The red diamond is the one on the board shown above.  My latest Diamond and the best so far.  I am getting better.  I also used starch on the material of this one before it was cut out and it was so much easier to piece.  I may be becoming a starch user for the little blocks.  These are 4 by 7, not counting the 1/4 inch seam.



May this find you all well and healthy.




No comments:

Post a Comment