Pages

Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Flower Garden


There have been no stitches added to my third block for my A Bountiful Life quilt this week.  I do work on more than one project at a time.  I have two, three, ah four, maybe five (I won't admit to more than that) active projects going right now.

I spent this week working on my Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt.  This one is all hexies.  I am not doing English Paper Piecing to make this.  I am using Inklingo; I print the hexie shape on the back of the material, cut on the line and then sew them together.  I am doing these Flowers in a hybrid style.  I am sewing the six petals together by machine and then sew in the flower center by hand.  It is wonderful slow stitching.  I have120 flowers made; 20 colors with six flowers of each color.  Here they are up on my wall in their proper order. 



Then I made 99 flowers that are the back ground flower.  Here they are on my ironing board in bunches of ten (easier for me to keep tract of how many).
 


Then I machine sew a white hexie in between the color flowers and the background flowers.  Here I have a row of flowers and a row of background side by side.


Then comes the slow stitching where the two rows are stitched together.  This is great for riding in the car, watching TV(football) or just being quiet.
 

When I get the rows all together for the center of my quilt, I will see how much white fabric I have left.  The borders will either be white or maybe a pale green or yellow of a 1930s tiny print.  Shall have to wait and see.  

I am half way done with the Christmas Angels and Snowflakes for Church.  I make them while I am sewing.  I just keep getting up to keep Ellie (my machine) moving on to the next step in making. 

Have a wonderful day.  I cannot believe that September is almost over.  Our trees have begun to turn and we have had a frost that has finished off my tomatoes and basil.  Now I am getting the gardens ready for winter. 

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I learn new things. I’ve never come across the term inklingo before. Interesting that you use a combination of machine and handwork. And my mind is boggling at the idea of making angels at the same time as sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for visiting and commenting.

    Inklingo is a program made by Linda Franz in Canada. You use the program to print out a very fine line onto the fabric and then cut out the shapes. I do not use a template to cut the shapes. This is not a sponsored statement about Inklingo. I am a person who is very happy that she found this program, it is wonderful.

    Making the Angels while sewing is easy. It also is a program but from Amazing Designs, again a satisfied customer. It is in my embroidery part of Ellie and she does all the work while I work on something else. I just have to listen so that I know when to get up to keep her moving from step to step or change the thread colors. You can see the Angels in my December 2017 post.

    I wish I was a person who was able to do the amazing thinking up of the programs. I am glad that I can follow their directions and create with them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Love the overlapping placement in the first pic -- gives it such a natural feel, despite being a classic hexagon pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, I do too. It may be an idea for a table runner in the future. I have more of this material.

    ReplyDelete