Pages

Sunday, October 22, 2023

Squirrel, NewTool

Good morning.  I don't have much to show.  This week and last, I have been a bit unsure what I should be working on.  

I found a new to me tool that I am very happy with.  The Binding Needle from Primitive Gatherings.  Somehow it jumped into my order when I was online shopping somewhere.  I have always stitched my quilt bindings with a short needle and been happy.  I tried this to stitch the binding on the Dino quilt.  I started with it and did about six inches.  Thought it was too long and switched back to my usual needle.  I was surprised that the stitches made with the longer needle were smaller and looked better.  I went back to this needle and did the entire binding with it.  I was really pleased with my stitches, and it is now my go to needle.  I just have to get used to it being longer as I would stick my left thumb every once in a while, and it eventually looked a little bit like a pincushion.

I have been following Clare Bradshaw at The Steady Thread.  She has been doing a 2023 Botanical Blackwork Stitch-a-long that is gorgeous.  I have done Blackwork once before and have always liked how it looks.  I am interested in doing her Stitch-a-long but have held myself in control.  She has this smaller Blackwork pattern that caught my eye.  It is called 100 Days of Tiny.  It will not take me 100 days.  Sorry the picture is so dark.  It has been a dark rainy day, and the light is starting to set.  Can't say sun as there hasn't been any all day.

I am back to hand quilting on my 3030 Quilt.  Don't know why I put it into timeout but maybe it is me that was in timeout.  I am so close to finishing it and I want something else on the frame.  Good thing that I took pictures in the beginning as I forgot where I was going.  Lesson learned.  Keep a written pattern or path.  I don't want to unroll it.

I have not forgotten my sheep.  I need to finish blocking and do a bit of unknitting.

Linking to Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts.  Enjoy your threads today.

7 comments:

  1. Interesting observation on the needles. I hope to be stitching binding later and have some long needles for it that I have never tried, I too tend to use the small needles. I think I'll give them a try on this binding. Thanks for inspiring me to try something different. Have a wonderful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting that the needle makes a difference to your stitching. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to try blackwork. I love those little squares. Enjoy your stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never thought about the length of needle for stitching binding - I'll have to experiment with that. Your tiny blackwork is lovely! Enjoy your stitching today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great projects! I will have to try that needle. I love the blackwork!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely blackwork. The blocks are so tiny. I also use a little longer needle when I do binding because I don't need my stitches to be as close together as the hand quilting stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So awesome to have a good binding needle! I'll have to keep my eyes open for these. The blackwork piece is intriguing... I haven't tried that before.

    ReplyDelete