Pages

Sunday, June 16, 2024

Not much

I have been weeding in the gardens.  If I had gone out in April and May it would not have been so bad.  It was just too cold and grey for me.  Now I am paying for my sloth ability. But I am beginning to do some repeat garden maintenance work which makes me happier.

We have also had friends staying for a bit.  (And two different day trips to Boston. 3 hours one way.)  It has been all good, but my stitching has been almost not there.  

Not much interesting to show.  So, I will show how I set up for my next machine visit.  Here it is waiting for me.  Sad and lonely.  Great to be able to look out the window as I stitch, North direction.  Bushes and birds outside the window.  Gibbs loves to sit in this window.  He will be there even when the machine is working.


The top board has the 10.5-inch potato chip block.  I stitch from the center out.  

I chain stitch chip 1 & 2 together, 5 & 6, and 7 & 8.  Then I move on to the larger block and do the same.  Then I start the nine-patch block.  I use that block as a leader ender.  


I separate the chips, press seams open and then place back on the board in the proper spots.  Stitch 3 to center, then 9 & 10, snip center off chain and add 4, then 11 & 12.  Do the same for the next chip block and stop with the nine-patch.  Then continue in that manner until they are both finished and also the nine-patch.  

The 16.5 block waiting on its board.


The material square with the clip in my basket is my nine-patch.  I set them out in their proper order, and they are used as leader enders.  


The rest of the paper and material in the basket belong to one of my littles.  I stitch that at the end of the block stitching.  The little is a foundation paper piece block.

Here is little #237, Beacon Lights.  With everything being so busy I was not able to sit and think this out.  It is not hard, but it takes more thinking than the chip blocks.  It was stitched last evening so I am ready to get back into routine.  I have made sure that a little is stitched before I can set up for the next chip blocks.  Is that the carrot and stick?


The boards have been prepped and the basket is ready.  That will be this evening's stitching.  Back into the routine tomorrow, after more garden work in the morning.

May your day with threads be enjoyable.  I will be linking to Kathy's Quilts and Slow Sunday Stitching.


 

12 comments:

  1. Gardens tend to consume one's time in the summer months. Your Beacon Lights block is a lovely one. Enjoy your Sunday evening stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always good to have a few blocks set out and ready to sew for when you have a few minutes! I like your set-up with the design boards for laying things out. Those potato chip blocks look fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the potato chip blocks! I recently made up kits for our guild's sewing day and got two finished tops back for the guild meeting. I did the same thing with my garden. I finally got the last bed cleaned out last week. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did anyone use sashing between the blocks? I am thinking of that with at least one of the quilts.

      Delete
  4. You look like you’re ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am making potato chip blocks too... I'm sure sure if I've posted anything about them? Such a great way to use up scraps!
    Your scraps are much prettier than mine!
    Enjoy your stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All scraps are pretty, especially when they are used up.

      Delete
  6. Beacon Lights is so pretty. I wish I had a window view at my sewing machine. Mine is in the basement. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Potato chip blocks are all the rage, I've yet to try one though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are the best to make. Just sewing, not a lot of being fussy.

      Delete
  8. I am so happy to have discovered your blog. I love the variation of colors in your potato chip blocks. They are fun to make and to use up fabric. I alsyuo love your little blocks from Sentimental Stitcher. She lives about an hour away near Chicago and I have met her. I am making the little blocks of Dear Jane. Good for weeding. I dislike it and really need to take care of my flower beds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my weeding has taken a three day pause due to the heat. I have places to be in the morning and then it is just too hot to be outside. I know other places have it worse with the heat, but this is not our usual weather. Thank you for finding me and for your kind words.

      Delete