Pages

Sunday, April 9, 2023

1985

1985 was the year that I took my first quilting class and made my first quilt.  This quilt was made with stencils.  Each piece marked, cut and hand stitched together.  I then quilted each block, put the blocks together with sashing and quilted the sashing.  I used a cotton batting.  

I still have the course work: stencils and directions.




It has been used for 38 years.  I guess we took good care of it as it had not been washed.  I wish I had a before picture of this quilt. 

Last week I was sorting a bedroom and there was a small pile of kid quilts made by my Mom or me.  I decided that they needed to be washed and put away.  (The cats had been napping on them.)  My 1985 quilt, my first quilt, was with them, and I added it to the pile.  I wish I had a before picture of this quilt.

The kid quilts all made it through the wash without any issues.  They have been washed before and had either a polyester or newer cotton batting.  

What was I thinking.  My first ever quilt from1985 did not fare so well.  I don't think cotton batting from 1985 was the best.  When I took it out of the washer it was all puckered up, super puckered.  Like really ugly puckered.  I wish I had a before picture of this quilt.  



Some of the blocks.






This quilt will not be thrown out.  My slow stitching for a bit will be the un-quilting of this quilt.  I need to see how it will deconstruct.  Will I have to bring it back to the blocks or will it be one piece.  I will iron it smooth and put it back together.  This time I will use a wool batting.  It will once again be hand quilted.  I need to make a good diagram of the quilting and quilt it the same or very closely to what was stitched before.  

I wish I had a before picture of this quilt.  I am very glad that I have the quilt and that I can put a new batting it in.  Jack and I have a date today to take off the binding and begin to slowly un-quilt.  Shall keep you informed on how it goes.

I will be linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts.

Update: I finally had the courage to measure this quilt.  It puckered up 16 inches in length and 14 inches in width.
 

8 comments:

  1. Oh My Gosh! You are brave! Un-quilting this quilt will be a challenge. It will be easier sewing another one and keep this as it is. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That was a LOT of shrinkage. I'm surprised the cotton fabrics held together that well. Happy unstitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure you will be able to salvage this quilt. It is very pretty. I made my first quilt in 1986. It took me 20 years to hand quilt it. I think it had polyester batting. I have never tried working with wool batting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, what a shame, after all that work. Good luck with sorting it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you can get it sorted out, it is a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, your quilt is beautiful. I hope the unpicking goes well for you. I am currently unpicking a quilt as well. Sigh..... it is very slow going.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear, that's an awful lot of shrinkage. I have used cotton batting in the past and used to carefully hand wash it to take care of shrinkage, just in case. Good luck with your reconstruction process.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a masterpiece. 38 years of staying together. I don’t know if I could handle jack and all that work but good luck with all that work. It's beautiful on It's own merit.
    I began hand piecing and quilting in 1984.

    ReplyDelete