Pages

Sunday, April 23, 2023

289

That is how many seasons that I have been here on earth.  (I like marking my life by seasons.  It is experience richer than years.)  You would think that being around for so many seasons I would remember things.  Not so.

My 1985 Quilt had a wool batting.  Wool batting of 38 years ago is different than wool batting of today.  Not as washable for sure.  

1985 Quilt has been taken apart and so much happier.  I could feel it relax as I unquilted it.  The next three pictures show you the batting after it was taken apart and placed on the block it belongs to.  

You can see how much it shrunk!!!


The batting used to go all the way to the outer edge of the block border. 


I am not a person who labels her quilts, but I have changed my mind.  (Terrible way to learn this.)  All of my quilts will now have the type batting listed and washing instructions.  

1985 Quilt has stayed together very well as I was taking it apart.  It was all hand pieced and quilt as you go.  I need to get a new backing and will use wool batting, 2023 version.  It will once again be hand quilted.  The quilting will be easy as the stitching marks remain.

Heartfelt Quilt center is now done.  I need to measure and place a 2-inch border of the sashing material.  Then to make 148 half square triangle blocks using the border material and the left-over reds.


I am supposed to be documenting my slow stitching.  Does tatting count as slow stitching?  That is what I will be working on when sitting today.  Shall show it to you next week.  Enjoy your threads.

Linking to Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts.

 

7 comments:

  1. I think tatting counts! Show it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry that you had to take apart that pretty old quilt, but I am glad that the actual fabric is in good shape. Since I am an infrequent quilter, I didn't know there were differences in battings throughout the years. I don't think I have ever worked with wool. Heartfelt is very pretty. It looks like quite a large quilt. I look forward to seeing that border. Enjoy your tatting. I never learned that craft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea to label the quilts with washing instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, tatting is stitching and slow. I hugely admire you for sorting out your 1985 quilt. Most of us would have put it away and put it down to experience. The other quilt is looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilts! I admire you too for fixing your 1985 quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your kind words. 1985 was my first quilt and most likely my favorite. That quilt taught me so much. I just couldn't let it sit all bunched up and I sure couldn't toss it. It is on a pause as I need to get a new backing. As soon as that has been picked, I will begin the hand quilting process. Will have two quilts in the works for hand quilting. 3030 has had some slow moments of hand quilting done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, it certainly does. Tatting, knitting, crochet, embroidery, rug making etc. I'm not quite sure what tatting is, is that where you use a shuttle? Perhaps you can show us some pictures sometime?

    ReplyDelete