Pages

Sunday, August 20, 2023

Hummers

Autumn is coming.  Some trees in the Berkshires have begun to turn their leaves. 

My hummer visitors have been fewer this week.  I have two hummer feeders that have been busy since they were put out in the middle of April.  That is when our first hummers usually show up.  The last few weeks I have been having families come to the feeders.  As many as a dozen will feed together.  I have two feeders placed about 10 feet apart in the garden around the deck. 

Notice the ant moats, the red thing hanging above the feeders.  I usually have to add water to the moats several times a week.  This summer we have had so much rain that I only filled them up when I first set out the feeders.  Mother Nature has kept them filled all summer.  They really work well to keep the ants away from the sugar water.



The Tuna Quilters met this week, and we had 'show and tell'.  They were kind and held up Heartfelt so that I could take a better picture.  It was such a sunny Monday that we took the picture under the tree.  If you look at any of the HST borders, on the left, you can see when the HSTs change direction.  That was done so that the HST would make the border corners be a square.  


We have exciting news.  Exciting for my husband and I, along with the rest of the family.  We are expecting our first Grandchild in November.  Our youngest and her husband gave us the news in May.  They know who it will be but are not letting anyone else know.  We have been told that the baby will let us know when it is born.

So, I made this Peter Rabbit quilt.  A kit that I picked up during a Shop Hop in 2013.  Peter Rabbit is one of my favorite book series, along with Winnie the Pooh.  This is a panel so all I had to do was add two borders.  Really a fast make.  This one I will machine quilt.


Then I made this quilt.  Our youngest is a geologist and loves dinosaurs.  She had found this dinosaur material in 2022.  This quilt is Feathered to a T by Mary Etherington and Connie Tesene and found in their Fresh Start Quilts book.  A dinosaur edge to edge machine quilt pattern has been found.  Now we need to see who will quilt it.


I hope that you all have a wonderful day and enjoy your threads.  Linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts.

 

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful work. How wonderful to be able to make a quilt for an expected grandchild. It must be fun to watch hummingbirds at the feeder. The ant moat is interesting; I read about someone who gave up on feeders because of ants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hummer feeders are from First Nature. Their hummer ant moat is the best invention. Haven't had ants at the feeders in a long time. They go up the pole but just can't get across the water moat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of an ant moat, what a great idea! Congratulations on your upcoming grandchild! Beautiful quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting, awaiting the arrival of your first grandchild! Of course you had to make a quilt.

    ReplyDelete