Pages

Sunday, January 14, 2024

Postage Stamps, Finish

Mary Etherington at Country Threads Chicken Scratch has been showing gorgeous postage stamp quilts.  Kari Schell at On Point Quilter Blog has an entry on the making of snowflake mug rugs.  The mug rug background was the postage stamp.  Postage stamps have been fascinating me since.  I decided to try it out with two mug rugs.  Yesterday I cut my strips, sewed them together, cut them apart and sewed them together again.  Here is my start.  The snowflakes will be made today, fused on, batting and backing.  A bit of machine stitching and they will be done.  

The idea of a postage stamp quilt fascinates me still.  Thinking, thinking.

This table topper from Shabby Fabrics was made last year.  The hearts were only fused on, and it needed to be finished.  So, I decided to machine buttonhole stitch around each heart.  My machine was making skipped stitches, and I didn't like it.  It was taken out and while watching the first football game of the day, I did the buttonhole stitch by hand.  

Haven't decided if I like it but it is done and done is always better.  I need to keep remembering that.  And, to remember, as my Tuna Quilter friends and I say, it is not going to Houston (as in the International Quilt Festival).


When the six hearts were done, I still had time on my hands.  I have been knitting myself a pair of socks (traveling project).  I am a toe up knitter for socks.  Back in 2020 I found an article from 1999 about the Sherman Sock.  The toe is started flat and then it turns into the toe cap.  I have it printed out and guard my copy very carefully.  Then I knit as a tube and put it waste yarn for my peasant, or depression, heel.


I knit both socks at the same time.  Here is the other one with the heel made.  


The heel was made before the leg was finished as I want to use up all this yarn and wasn't sure how far to go to not run of yarn for the heel.  The other end of the yarn ball was my start for the heel.


Knitting time was over and the second heel will be the first thing I do with football today.  

Enjoy your threads today and stay safe.  

We have been rainy, dark and gloomy but not the blizzards found out west (would like to have some snow) or the waves that were hitting the coast of Maine causing flooding and taking out buildings.  

Linking to Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts.



 

10 comments:

  1. I love postage stamp quilts, they're so precious! Your sock looks very nice. Just a tip - I make multiple copies of papers I want to keep . . . . you know, just in case!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the postage stamp mug rugs. The socks are looking great. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your table topper is fabulous. The hearts look good. I struggle to get toe up socks started, I’ll have to look up Sherman socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The article I have is "Toe Up Sock" found at knitlist.com/2002/ToeUpSock. I hope you are able to find it.

      Delete
  4. Love your table topper, it is beautiful. Love the look of your socks too, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I think your table topper is lovely. Blue and white always dances beautifully together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the socks and the hearts table topper is lovely, I started making a postage stamp quilt years ago using 1 inch squares I never had enough pieces for a quilt but made some lovely post holders instead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that table topper. I think your blanket stitching is beautiful. I like the striped socks. I love the look of postage stamp quilts, but I don't think that I ever want to make one. Enjoy your stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing nicer than hand knitted socks, although I have to admit that I dont know how to knit them to up. I also knit both socks together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi - The buttonhole stitches you did by hand are so even! Impressive!

    I am a new addition to Slow Sunday Stitching - number 24 this week if you want to stop by!

    ReplyDelete