Pages

Sunday, March 3, 2024

Feet

Not what I expected to stitch on this week.  

For some reason Block 5: Pair of Golden Eagles from A Bountiful Life was screaming at me.  It had been longtime ignored but the leaves and branches were starting to get stitched.  The feet were next.  Ick.

My cousin Kathy had done her eagles' feet using a suede fabric and I really like how they looked.  She had given me a piece of the suede.  Tried it and did not like it.  Hers looked so much nicer.  (Forgot to take a picture before the feet were removed.) 

Next, I used a brown cotton and did the needle turn appliqué technique.  Still, I was not happy.  So, I pondered.


Looked through my books on appliqué hoping someone would give great directions on doing bird feet.  Nothing specific but good ideas.  I took Pellon #950 fusible nonwoven interfacing and fused it to the back of my brown material.  (That is a one sided fusible.  For some reason I did not want to fuse it to the block.  No sure what my thinking was.)  Then the feet were traced and trimmed.  The buttonhole stitch was used to attach to the material.  Happier am I.  Not perfect but done.  The body was stitched for one of the eagles and more leaves placed.  She still has to have her eye stitched on.  


A closer view of the feet.

Below are the first feet that I made with the cotton, needle turned appliqué.  They did not make me happy at all.  You can see the piece of fabric with the fusible interfacing on it.  The left feet will be removed, and the new ones stitched in place.  Then the body can be stitched on, then more leaves and branches.

 

Block 5 will be done (maybe today).  My slow stitching on a Sunday and then back to the snowflake runner.  I am thinking that a person has to use all the techniques for appliqué.  

Linking to Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts.  Enjoy your threads and thanks for looking.

3 comments:

  1. Those feet look very tricky, well done for persisting and getting them right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your feet turned out quite nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The feet you ended up with look just fine. I can just imagine how difficult they are.

    ReplyDelete